Sunday, November 25, 2007

Stuff I Use: Gizmo Project


I just started using the Gizmo Project. I am definately going to continue. Two product summaries are in order to explain gizmo project.

Skype is free internet telephony. You can call or have voice chats with other skype users for free. You can also make calls to cell phone numbers fairly cheap. skype also offers voicemail (free) a call in number (fee) etc.

Then you have pidgin (which does the same thing trillian does, but is open source. You have friends that only use aol instant messenger, some friends that use yahoo messenger and of course your buddies in gmail. You can chat with any of these people over their own clients, but wouldn't it be nice not to have to use four different clients? Pidgin is one program from which you can use multiple chat programs/accounts.

Which brings us nicely to Gizmo Project. Previously I had been using skype for free voice over internet and pidgin for instant messenger. Gizmo serves both functions, free voice chat/calls and a meta instant messenger. Nice bonus is they offer the same features to your phone.

Summary: Think skype + pidgin/trillian with open protocols.

Advantage: All your chats in one place, on the pc or on the phone.

Disadvantage: Not as big of user base as skype, I prefer pidgin's interface/setup.

Edit: Currently gizmo is unable to handle jabber, ichat etc. For this reason, I use skype and pidgin. Pidgin can handle all of the chat services I use, and skype has more stable free telephony plus a larger user base. I still would like a meta system, but until one is developed I am going to use the best/most popular services. Although, I still use Gizmo on my phone.

Blogged with Flock

No comments:

Labels